This is a complete novel study using the book Rules. The book is a Newberry Honor Book and explores themes of friendship, family, and students with disabilities.
The entire unit focuses on the Common Core Standards and shift to getting students to use evidence from the text to defend their responses. You will notice a mix of multiple-choice questions and short answers where students are required to give specific evidence to explain their answers. More importantly, it unites ELA with reading, writing, and vocabulary. This unit is also perfect for guided reading groups.
This unit also includes a guide for implementing collaborative conversations with your students that aligns with the Speaking and Listening Common Core State Standards.
- 17 Print and Go/Editable Lessons (Student work, exit ticket, homework)
- 18 Vocabulary words that are explored for deeper meaning
- 1 Student Collaborative Discussion booklet that requires students to prepare a given topic, take on a role and discuss specific questions about the text.
- Printable Collaborative conversation cards AND discussion prompts
- Collaborative Discussion rubric
As with all my units, there are editable forms so that you can adjust to the needs of your learners.